Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Return//Being happy!


Where the heck have I been? Sorry for my hiatus, I never anticipated the work load that comes with being a full-time graduate student. My plan from here on out is to try and publish at least two posts a month, possibly three. So here goes.

Today's post is about being happy. What does it take? Plain & simple. For starters, I always assumed that to be happy you had first be having a great deal of luck, fortune, and positive environmental factors on your side. Turns out, I was wrong. Keeping that in mind, I would like to quote a well known actor, comedian Ryan Reynolds in stating that "happiness takes balls-- enormous, sweaty, swinging cojones" if he may. Of course he's not being a sexist in saying that women need to grow a 'pair' but there is a personal responsibility to oneself. By cojones I believe he is using the term courage interchangeably. Going off that, you have to be willing to do the things you want, when you want, and how you want, to a degree, with out fear of judgment. At the same time be willing to be disliked and accepting of the fact that you cannot please everyone. Being disliked is not necessarily a bad thing! Happiness like so many other things is a choice according to Reynolds! If others dislike you for making it, they have actively made a choice to do so, so how come we cannot actively make a choice to be happy.

If you go on Google™ right now and search for the percentage of control of happiness one has over their own life, your return search would be flooded with page upon page. Moving on, the one I found most appealing but flawed was the "90/10" rule, which states 10% of our lives is out of our control however the other 90% is how we deal with/react to the 10%. If you have been following this post alone and believe in the cojones metaphor, like me, you should be shaking your head here! (SMHing if you will). If I had to modify this theory I would definitely want it to be more 50/50. However, we should unequivocally have an essence of control over our lives, if not, that 50/50 is more like chance. So I would say it has to be around 60/30/10 (60=Environment, 30=Personal control, and how you reacted to the environment being 10). Think about it--

Take away- If you want to be happy, grab a pair, be assertive and like Nike© Just do it!

I can be horribly wrong and lead you to start making crazy decisions towards being happy and at the same token disliked because you are actively making these choices but that shows control. Control is one step towards being happy. Who knows it may be what you need!

TRUST ME, sort of-

1 comment:

  1. this honestly brought a smile to my face. i think i could be having the worst day ever and i can read this and just smile.. lol

    ReplyDelete